Digital Unite has launched a new range of online courses to help housing providers introduce tenants to the benefits of the internet and show them how to master the basics such as using a keyboard and mouse, searching the web and using email. These ‘digital champion’ courses are flexible, self-study e-learning programmes which include practical exercises, case studies, useful links and a learner’s certificate of completion.
The new Quick Start courses cover a variety of essential topics including:
- Creating the right learning environment for beginners, what hardware, software and websites to use, and how to create and maintain learner interest.
- Building learner confidence and email security, shopping and comparing prices, and financial advice online.
- Registering with websites, paying online, saving and making money online and e-banking.
- Basic word processing skills, computer housekeeping and using email and the internet, finding relevant online training and gathering the right personal information to create a CV.
- Researching jobs online, uploading CVs and completing online application forms, networking for job hunters, interview skills and troubleshooting in the learning session.
Kathy Valdes, business support manager, Digital Unite, said, “Experience shows that helping beginners as a digital champion or computer buddy is one of the most effective ways to inspire, enthuse and support non-users to get online.”